Tuesday, September 29, 2009

VOI Giving Back Hope

Just for a moment I would like you to imagine that you live the life of Jose Bonilla. A 49 year old man who has been living the past eight years with cataracts in both of his eyes that have rendered him blind. I am sure that any one would agree that having to be a burden on ones family is a situation that no one would want to be in. So when Jose walked in to the OneSight clinic being lead in by his wife to Dr. Jeff Geisert station his disposition was rather bleak. His examination not only showed that he was a candidate for an operation through VOI but was told that he would be having his operation on Monday. The VOI team was going to make it possible to take his bandages off and walk out of the hospital that day. This was a fantastic story that Dr. Geisert was proud to be apart of. If I get any word on his recovery I will give you an update

This is a message from the VOI team as of Saturday:

Our three day total is 82 cataract surgeries and we are aiming for a goal or 250.Our team has really come together well and we can't ask for a better organization like OneSight to partner with on a prfofessional and social leve. Long hours,long days but that is why we are here. Tomorrow is sunny and we are looking forward to a day off. We will come back strong on Monday and have a great week

Saturday we saw 5 patients that live on an island, they had an hour boat ride to get to us. Plus, the time to the hospital.

On Saturday we had five patients arrive after an hour ride by boat and had the extra trek to get to the hospital.OneSight had Saturday off but we had a schedule to keep. The breakfast was scheduled at 7 am. Right at the time we were to headed to the hospital. However the chef came in at 4-am for us and said it was no problem for all the help we are doing in his country.Its nice to be supported and appreciated for all our hard work



I had the opportunity to visit the hospital today and see one of the cataract suregeries in progress. When I walked in to the operating room I was the exact time that one of the patients was having his cataract extracted from his left eye. I was truly amazed as to how quick of a procedure this is. To borrow the words of one of my fellow team mates Christina Barnes, "Some of these people have had their lives put on hold for years over an operation that we would consider so basic here in the western countries."It is truly a great thing what VOI provides to these people. Not only their sight restored but their lives restored as well. Vision Outreach International,

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't imagine being blind for that long, i rely on my eyes for everything, driving drawing working,picking a zit, i think it's amazing how much can be done with a simple laser, I'm not gonna lie the picture is a little disturbing lol
    but i saw your picture and if i do say so myself u look quite snazzy in those scrubs ;)love ya
    nathan

    ReplyDelete